Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"What Are You Reading" Wednesdays

"What Are You Reading" Wednesdays is really just my way of sneaking a peek at your night-stand, coffee-table, book-shelf... where ever it is that you stack your current reads, when you aren't reading them! And of course, returning the favor by allowing you a peek at mine...

In the right hand column of my blog, you will see a section called "currently reading". I update this as I start each new novel. Today, I am currently spending time with Glen Duncan's The Last Werewolf.


Having read many of his previously novels (I, Lucifer; Death of an Ordinary Man; Weathercock; A Day and a Night and a Day) I had very high expectations for this one! And Duncan is not letting me down. A fresh spin on what is quickly becoming a tired genre, Duncan explores what it would be like to be last of your kind. The werewolf in question - Jacob Marlowe - is being hunted, and has decided to go down without a fight. That is, until he uncovers the whereabouts of "Quinn's Diary" - a book that he has been searching many many years for, which documented the origins of the werewolf.

The book contains amazing one-liners that I have been tweeting like a loon under the hashtag #thelastwerewolf. Here are a few:

"Falling in love makes the unknown known. Falling out of love reverses the process"

"The devil wants meaning just like the rest of us"

"Every now and then you look out at the world and know its gods have gone utterly elsewhere"

"Telling the truth is a beautiful act even if the truth itself is ugly"

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading The Child: A Novel by Sarah Schulman and Trickster Makes This World by Lewis Hyde

    ReplyDelete